Viewing page 20 of 21

were brought out intended for military use, but none appeared to have progressed beyong the experimental stage. Included in this program as considerable pioneering work on attempts at all-metal construction, [[strikethrough]] which was [[/strikethrough]] undoubtedly some of the first such developments in the United States.

Wilson remained there until the latter part of 1928 when he left Thomas-Morse to join the newly formed Cunningham-Hall Aircraft Corporation of Rochester, New York. He was convinced that the field for new commercial aircraft was ready to [[strikethrough]] rapidly [[/strikethrough]] expand rapidly and this new firm planned to produce a new six-place cabin bi-plane, powered by a Wright J-6, 9-cylinder 300 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]] hp., radial engine. Known as the Cunningham-Hall model PT-6, the plane had an all-metal structure and a metal-covered cabin. This firm brought into the aviation industry the James Cunningham, Son and Company, an old line producer of vehicles and coaches, then later the well-known high priced Cunningham motor cars. The market for their cars had dwindled to almost nothing and they were looking for a new product. William T. Thomas, who had resigned from Thomas-Morse in 1922, joined the new firm as Chief Engineer. There Wilson assisted R. F. Hall, W. R. R. Winans and William Thomas in the design and development of this new plane through 1929, following which Wilson demonstrated their product throughout the country in an effort to establish a market, but the depression was at its peak, which put an end to the venture. 
Following this Wilson decided to give up flying and as a result took on the Kendall Oil distributorship at Danville, Illinois. Times were tough and he had a long hard struggle to stay in business, then [[strikethrough]] after [[/strikethrough]] when he finally [[strikethrough]] beginning to get [[/strikethrough]] got things going [[strikethrough]] well [[/strikethrough]] smoothly. World War II came along and his oil supply was rationed. During this period he had also started a retail store selling Stromberg-Carlson radios and General Tires. After a management change at the Kendall Oil head-quarters he opened an Oliver farm equipment agency and planned to drop the oil business. During World War II both Wilson and his wife developed illnesses making it advisable for them to seek a change of climate. As a result he turned the management of his business [[strikethrough]] connections [[/strikethrough]] over to his employees, sold his Kendall Oil distributorship, bought a trailer and moved to Florida. There they spent the winter months in Daytona Bead and Miami. 
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.