Viewing page 44 of 44



Pages 1, 2, and 3 of this form must be completely filled out (preferably on the typewriter) 

When Declaration Not Required.——You are not required to file a declaration of intention to become a citizen of the United States if you are—
(a) An alien who has served honorably for 3 years in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or for 5 years on board any vessel of the United States Government other than the Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard, or on board vessels of more than 20 tons burden which are not foreign vessels and whose home port is in the United States, provided your petition is filed while you are still in such service or employment, or within 6 months after leaving such service or employment. 

(b) An alien who married a citizen of the United States or whose spouse was naturalized on or subsequent to September 22, 1922; or 

(c) A woman who prior to September 22, 1922, lost your American citizenship by: (1) marriage to an alien or through the loss of American citizenship by your husband, or (2) by marriage to an alien ineligible to citizenship after September 22, 1922.

(d) An alien who has served honorably in an active duty status in the military or naval forces of the United States during World War I (April 6, 1917, to November 11, 1918), or during a period beginning September 1, 1939 and ending December 1, 1946, or who, if separated from such service, was separated under honorable conditions.

Immigrant Identification Cards and Alien Registration Receipt Cards.——Every alien who entered the United States for permanent residence on the basic of an immigration visa on or after July 1, 1928, and prior to August 27, 1940, should be in possession of an Immigrant Identification Card. Every alien in the United States should be in possession of an Alien Registration Card. You need not forward either card with this application. However, you will be required to present these cards when you appear to file your petition for naturalization and to surrender them at the time you are admitted to citizenship. You should therefore carefully save your Immigrant Identification Card and your Alien Registration Receipt Card.

Photographs.——You are required to send with this application three photographs of yourself taken within 30 days of the date of this application. These photographs must be 2 by 2 inches in size, and the distance from top of head to point of chin should be approximately 1 1/4 inches. They must not be pasted on the cards or mounted in any other way, must be on thin paper, have a light background, and clearly show a front view of your face without hat. Snapshots, group or full-length portraits will not be accepted. Both of these photographs must be signed by you on the margin and not on the face or the clothing.

Date of Your Arrival.——If you do not know the exact date of your arrival in the United States, or the name of the vessel or port, and you cannot obtain this information by consulting your family or friends who came over with you, give the facts of your arrival as you remember them in the appropriate blank spaces on the first page of this form. Your Immigrant Identification Card or your passport, ship's card, or baggage labels, if you have them, may help you to answer these questions.

If the date of your arrival in the United States was on or before June 29, 1906, you should submit with this application documentary evidence of your residence in the United States prior to that date. Such documents may be family bible entries, deeds of record, wills or other authentic legal documents, life insurance policies, bank books and records, employment records or other documents showing that you entered the United States on or before June 29, 1906. Do not submit such documents if your arrival in the United States was after June 29, 1906. 

Absence from the United States——In statement No. 5 on page 1 of this form, show ALL of your absences from the United States, regardless of how long you were away. In statement No. 12 on page 3, show only your absences which were for 6 or more months. Absence from the United States for more than 6 months but less than 1 year during the periods of continuous residence required in the United States may break the continuity of your residence for naturalization purposes. An absence from the United states of 1 year or more during such periods will break the continuity of your residence for naturalization purposes, except that after you have resided in the United States for at least 1 year and have filed a declaration of intention, if your absence abroad is made necessary because you are an employee of the United States Government, an American institution of research, or an American firm or corporation engaged in foreign trade and commerce of the United States, you may prevent a break in the continuity of your residence for naturalization purposes by making an application on Form N-470. For complete information you should address the office of this Service nearest to you, or the "Commissioner of Immigration and Naturalization, Philadelphia, Pa."

Nationality and Race.——Nationality in statement No. 6, page 3, refers to the country of which you are a citizen or subject. As to "race" in the same statement, Section 303 of the Nationality Act of 1940 provides that only white persons, persons of African nativity or descent, and descendants of races indigenous to the Western Hemisphere are eligible for naturalization. There are certain exceptions, in the case of native-born Filipinos who have served honorably in the United States Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard for a period of at least 3 years, and in the cases of women who have lost citizenship through marriage.

As stated above, the following races are eligible for naturalization:
African or African descent.

State to which of these classifications you belong.


It is a felony, punishable by a fine of not more than $5,000 or imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or both, for an alien or other person, whether an applicant for naturalization or citizenship, or otherwise—— (1) Knowingly to make a false statement under oath either orally or in writing, in any case, proceeding, or matter relating to, or under, or by virtue of any law of the United States relating to naturalization or citizenship. (Nationality Act of 1940, Sec. 346(a) (e).)

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact