Viewing page 13 of 24
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
teacher at the school now known as the University of Texas at Arlington. In the last fifteen year its faculty and student have joined those of Texas Christian University and Texas Wesleyan College and their faculty members in keeping the annual "Local Show" au courant- from geometric abstraction, through abstract expression and assemblage to op, pop and hard edge. Henry B. Caldwell, a former assistant director at the Corcoran Gallery, became director of the Fort Worth Art Center in 1955; he was succeeded in 1955 by Raymond Entenmann, from the staff of the Pennsylvania Academy. Donald Burrow was the director of the Art Center for a year before Henry Hopkins came in June of 1968 from a curatorship at the Los Angeles County Museum to the directorship which he now holds. During the years 1940 to 1965, interest in acquiring and owning the work of Fort Worth artists built up quickly, and increased yearly. The opening of the annual "Local Show" reached heights of remarkable excitement with people waiting in line for the opportunity to buy as soon as the exhibitions were declared open. This interest and attitude has also been reflected by the opening of many commercial galleries in the town including the work of local and regional artists in their total offerings. The Amon Carter Museum of Western Art, designed by Phillip Johnson, opened its doors in 1961 to reveal extensive collections of painting and sculpture, including many Remingtons and Russells, depicting the history of the American West. Under director Mitchell A. Wilder the exhibitions have become international in scope and are supplemented by a scholarly series of books and catalogues. The jeweled finial in Fort Worth's crown of art museums will be the Kimbell Art Museum, designed by Louis I. Kahn and bountifully endowed by Mr. and Mrs. Kay Kimbell. This museum, now under construction, will open with an outstanding permanent collection assembled by Richard F. Brown who assumed the directorship in 1965. The importance of this museum's collection will add much to the quality of the arts in the region, giving Fort Worth the distinction of having three museums, each serving the arts in different and significant ways. Sam B. Cantey, III Member Board of Directors (1938-present) Fort Worth Art Association 22 CATALOGUE OF THE EXHIBITION 23
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.