Viewing page 49 of 73
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
[[right margin]]unveiled April 21, 1929[[/right margin]] one who has made a definite and worthy contribution to American art in the form of convincing and beautiful sculpture, Mrs. Whitney has gained the admiration and distinction which talent alone can command and holds a secure place among the foremost sculptors the country has produced. Aside from her own creations, she has taken a keen interest in all branches of American art and has done much to promote and encourage its progress. In 1908, recognizing the difficulties which faced the American artist in reaching the public, she opened what became known as the Whitney studio gallery in her studio building in New York city where artists of talent were invited to show their work. So successful was this venture that in 1914 the Whitney Studio Club was formed, with quarters in a building of its own, containing a library, meeting room and three galleries. In 1928, when the club was approaching unwieldy proportions, with 400 members and a waiting list of as many more, it was disbanded, and in its stead the Whitney studio galleries were formed to provide a place where artists could show and sell their work without cost or complications. As the successor of these galleries Mrs. Whitney founded in 1930 (formally opened Nov. 18, 1931) the Whitney museum of American art, housed in its own artistically designed building, and presented to it as a nucleus her own collection of more than 600 art works. Continuing the general purpose of its predecessor studio clubs and galleries, the chief objective of the museum is to promote the progress of American art. In 1920-21 Mrs. Whitney also assembled and took to Europe a representative American art collection, holding exhibitions in London, Glasgow, Paris and Florence. She has contributed an occasional article to magazines and other periodicals. She is also a patron of the opera, and in this as in all other branches of art, has been responsible for the development of much talent that might have been lost but for her interest, encouragement and generosity. In recognition of her achievements as a sculptor she was awarded an honorary A.M. degree by New York university in 1922 and by Tufts college in 1924. She is a member of the American Federation of Arts, Association of Women Painters and Sculptors, National Institute of Social Science, International Historical Society, National Arts Club and the Colony and Cosmopolitan clubs, New York city. She was married at Newport, R.I., Aug. 25, 1896, to Harry Payne Whitney, and their three children are: Flora Payne, who married (1) Richard Tower and (2) G. Macculloch Miller; Cornelius Vanderbilt and Barbara Whitney, wife of Barklie McKee Henry. [[footnote]] "Peter Stuyvesant" at Stuyvesant Square Park unveiled June 4, 1941 "Spirit of Flight" [[strikethrough]] NWU [[/strikethrough]] N.Y. World's Fair - 1939 [[/footnote]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.