Viewing page 23 of 151

This transcription has been completed. Contact us with corrections.


mained until we came home. Whittredge and his wife meanwhile were at Scribners where we left them. The weather was most unfavorable during the most of our stay, frequent rains and some gloomy skies. The foliage was not nearly as brilliant as usual and the color was at its height a day or two before we left, about the 12" to 15". It was so cold that I could not sit out of doors much of the time and so I did not get as much as I had hoped, still I made three or four studies which will be useful to me. As it was I exposed myself painting in the woods one cold day and caught a cold which clings to me yet. Many more people visit the mountains in October than heretofore. Last year we were the only ones at the Laurel House and this year parties kept coming and going all the time we were there so that there were constantly from ten to twenty five people in the house. I am afraid that our quiet times there are at an end and that the number of guests will increase in the fall from year to year. We left in the nick of time for the weather has continued the same until today which is bright and still but cold. Whittredge thought he would leave on Tuesday next but I would not be surprised if he had already gone. Girard is up today. My father has gone out to visit his brothers. We passed him in the train on Wednesday. We found Emily Stevens and her husband here in on arrival.

I have written a letter today to Gussie and one to Mr. Rainger regarding my pictures. I have authorized him to sell the Snow picture for £140 or $600 and the "November" if it is not on its way home for £200 or $1000. Found a nice long letter from Eastman Johnson awaiting me here and Gertrude received one from Jeanette Hubbard from Paris. Since I came home I have painted a little study of a fog effect from "Sunset Rock" and commenced a picture of the Wood interior on the Mountain House path same size as the study 16 x 22 and after painting two days on it abandoned