Viewing page 10 of 36

4

the property carries itself and is an income producer. The block so acquired by the Museum is a substantial addition to the Museum's assets and will in the future be of great importance in the Museum's activities. The time is not far distant when the Museum building at 155th Street will not be large enough to house the activities which the institution will naturally undertake. A building with lecture hall, laboratory, storage rooms, library and other facilities will be doubtless erected upon the property.  At the present time the house on the 150th Street end of the property is being used by the Museum for storage purposes.

CHANGES IN STAFF.
Since our annual report, we have added to the staff, Mr. Frederick W. Hodge, formerly Ethnologist in Charge of the Bureau of American Ethnology, Washington, D. C. Mr. Hodge was in charge of the Hendricks expedition to Hawikuh last summer and will continue that field work this summer, besides taking charge of all publications, editorial and library work and photographic filing.  In addition to these duties, he will be in charge of the Museum during the director's absence.
Mr. Jesse L. Nusbaum, formerly of the Santa Fe Museum in Santa Fe, New Mexico, has also been added to our staff as a field worker.
Mr. Edward J. Bush has been added to the Technical Department.
Miss Gertrude J. Way was added to the staff as telephone operator.
The following have left the Museum staff:
Mr. Donald Cadzow, having enlisted in the Navy, and Mr. Theodoor de Booy, having resigned.

EXPEDITIONS.
Since the last annual report, the following expeditions have been sent out:
Mr. F. W. Hodge with Mr. A. B. Skinner and Mr. E. F. Coffin to the ruin of Hawikuh in New Mexico under the generous patronage of Mr. Harmon W. Hendricks.  The excavations there, which were continuous from May 22nd to August 27th, resulted in most important finds consisting of more than three hundred and fifty earthenware utensils, a quantity of stone implements and other objects, a large collection of implements of bone, many ornaments of shell, representative examples of basketry, matting and woven fabrics, and the remains of numerous objects of wood.  Noteworthy among the collections are ornaments consisting of hair combs and ear pendants made of wood incrusted with turquoise and jet in the form of mosaic, identical with certain examples of the native handiwork sent by Coronado to the Viceroy of Mexico in 1540.  The ruin of Hawikuh is that of the principal one of the seven cities of Cibola which were
[[end page]]
[[start page]]
5

discovered in 1539 by the Franciscan friar Marcos de Niza.  It was visited in the following year by the Spanish Conqueror Coronado, who almost lost his life in the storming of the Pueblo and who afterward wrote therefrom to the Viceroy of Mexico an account of his discoveries to that time.  Hawikuh was visited by other Spanish explorers, including Onate, the conqueror and colonizer of New Mexico in 1598 and 1605, and in 1629 it became the seat of a Franciscan mission which was continued until 1670, when the place was raided by the Apache Indians and the Pueblo permanently abandoned. The occupied site and the cemetery cover an area of about fifteen acres, but during this first season it was possible to excavate only about one-fifth of the cemetery area, in addition to a small amount of excavation in the houses.  The importance of the excavation of Hawikuh lies in the fact that this site was occupied by a known tribe, namely, the Zuni Indians, from prehistoric times well into the historic period, consequently it is expected that the work will result in determining the extent of the influence of Spanish civilization on the aboriginal inhabitants during  the earliest period of their contact.
Through the generosity of Mr. James B. Ford, Prof. Marshall H. Saville spent the month of May, 1917, in Guatemala collecting archaeological material in the western part of the Republic.  On his return in June, arrangements were made to purchase the collection of Dr. Thomas Gann in British Honduras.  This collection was received during the summer as a gift from Mr. Ford, and contains a number of very rare specimens from British Honduras, Guatemala and Yucatan. Through the aid of Mr. Ford, arrangements were made with Dr. Gann to carry on archaeological work in this old Maya Province; and work has been carried on in several sites, and is still going on.  The collections made have not yet been sent to the Museum.  Funds are available to carry on work during the winter of 1918-1919.  During the winter of 1917-1918, Prof. Saville went to Guatemala to close up the work of collecting which had been carried on during his absence by Mr. Paul Henning with a considerable degree of success.  He planned also to excavate near the City of Guatemala but the series of devastating earthquakes rendered it out of the question.  Furthermore, the 110 cases of antiquities and ethnological specimens brought together had to be salvaged from the ruins of the houses in which they had been stored.  Arrangements were made to have them taken from the ruined city and sent by rail to Quirigua to be cared for by the United Fruit Company.  Under the circumstances, it was considered not advisable to approach the President for the necessary order to permit their being sent out of the country at the present time.  It is gratifying to be able to state that the cases were undamaged as the result of the earthquake.  He also made a trip to British Honduras in connection with the work being done there by Dr. Gann.



Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.