Viewing page 19 of 36
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
2 provided that he should not be called upon to pay under said guarantee agreement more than $5,000 in each quarter. The Museum, therefore, is now assured that any deficit in its income account at the end of each quarter will be made good to the extent of $5,000. The Guarantee Agreement as finally amended went into effect on October 1, 1918, and under its terms the deficits existing on October 1, 1918, viz., $5,000, and January 1, 1919, viz., $1,566.09, have been paid to the Museum in accordance with the terms of said agreement. MEMBERS. During the year the following named have been elected to the classes of membership set opposite their respective names below: Mrs. Charles R. Carr Patron William J. Mackay Patron George P. Toby Life Member Nelson R. Hall Life Member Dr. James B. Clemens Fellow E. Schernikow Annual Fellow Grenville Kane Annual Member The trustees record with sorrow the death on February 15, 1919, of Mr. William J. Mackay, within a few months of his election as a patron of this Institution. To Mr. Mackay the Museum is indebted for the valuable collection of Neuter Archaeology obtained by the donor and his brother through extensive excavations carried on by them in the Indian cemetery at Lewiston, New York. MUSEUM BUILDING. The installation of cases for exhibition purposes on the first floor has been entirely completed. The cases for the second floor are about three-quarters finished and are being installed. The arranging of specimens therein for exhibition will be commenced shortly, but this work can hardly be completed much before the end of the year in view of the delay in the completion of the cases. Six mothproof and dustproof storage rooms in the basement of the Museum building were built during the year. The Bureau of Inquiry of the State Department of the United States Government occupied a part of the third floor of the Museum building from September 20, 1918, to February 15, 1919. No charge was made, the State Department paying a proportion of janitor and electric light expense. The facilities of the New York Geographical Society were also used by the Bureau. It was in our building and that of the Geographical Society that much of the data was collected and material prepared which is at present being used by the American representatives at the Peace Conference at Paris. The Trustees take pleasure in reporting the fact that their building was put to so important a use by the Federal Government. [[end page]] [[start page]] 3 Plans are about complete for the opening of the Museum to the public about the first of next year, by which time exhibitions on the first and second floors should be ready and the other work on the third floor far advanced. OTHER REAL ESTATE. The real estate acquired by the Museum, reported in the last annual report, consists of five houses on the triangular block bounded by St. Nicholas Avenue, St. Nicholas Place and 151st Street, one having been presented by Mr. Archer M. Huntington and four by Mr. James B. Ford. Of these, the house at the intersection of St. Nicholas Avenue and St. Nicholas Place has been used by the Museum for storage purposes and has been exempted from taxation as part of the property of the Museum used for Museum purposes and not for the production of income. The remaining four houses on the block are all rented. Mr. James B. Ford has generously contributed donations equivalent to the amount of taxes and of interest on the mortgage of $35,000 on this property with the result that the income from the real estate, without deduction for taxes and interest, is available to the Institution for its general income. CHANGES IN STAFF. Since the last Annual Report, four of the staff have entered the service of the United States Government. Their records are as follows: Mr. Donald Cadzow volunteered and enlisted as seaman in the U.S.N.R.F. January 20, 1918, and was called to the colors March 4, 1918, reporting at Pelham Bay Naval Training Camp. He received rating as quartermaster, second class, and was made platoon leader in the Second Training Regiment, Pelham, April 20, 1918. Received the rating of boatswain's mate, first class, and made Company Commander of Fifteenth Training Company, May 25, 1918. Recommended and accepted for Officer's Training School August 1, 1918, four months as cadet on board steamships Naushon, Idolias, Oneida, and Scout Patrol No. 229; recommended for commission as line ensign November 20, 1918; released from active service December 22, 1918, and returned to work in the Museum January 1, 1919. Mr. Jesse L. Nusbaum left for Camp Wadsworth, South Carolina, May 25, 1918; where he entered Company K of the 52d Pioneer Infantry. He was appointed corporal on July 14, 1918, and sailed for France on the S.S. Northern Pacific on August 3, 1918. The regiment did general engineering work on roads and bridges back of the lines until September, 1918, when they moved nearer the front and were under fire for 47 days. He, with his regiment, sailed on the S.S. K.I. Luckenbach from Brest, France, on March 31, 1919. Mr. Marshall H. Saville was appointed a captain in the Military Intelligence Division of the U.S. Army and reported for duty on September 13, 1918. He was attached to the office of the general staff for duty in Washington, D.C., where he took up work regarding
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.