Viewing page 29 of 36
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
4 Miss Marguerite de Lancey was added to the office staff on July 1, 1919, and Miss Anna J. McManus on September 1, 1919. Mr. Amos Oneroad resigned from the Museum staff on July 31, 1919, as he had to return to his lands in South Dakota. Miss Gertrude Wey resigned from the office staff on April 15, 1919, Miss Florence Coffin on June 30,1919, and Mrs. May Loomis on August 31, 1919. EXPEDITIONS. Hawikuh, New Mexico. The continued generosity of Mr. Harmon W. Hendricks made possible the resumption of the work at the ruins of Hawikuh, New Mexico. Mr. F. W. Hodge, Mr. Jesse L. Nusbaum, and Mr. E. F. Coffin proceeded to the field on May 28, 1919, and continued the archeological excavation, commenced in 1917, of that ruined pueblo of the ancient Zuni people. During the last season the excavations were devoted chiefly to the houses of Hawikuh, but attention was given also to the great cemetery, where many additional graves, with their accompaniments, were unearthed. The structural features of many of the houses were exposed, platted and studied, and many objects, covering both the prehistoric and the historic period, were found and now form part of the collections of the Museum. The masonry of the houses of Hawikuh is generally of poor quality, although some very good walls still stand to a height of about ten feet, their tops reaching the present surface. As was suspected, when excavations were commenced in 1917, the pueblo inhabited when the scene was first visited by the Spaniards in the sixteenth century was built over the ruins of a much older village that had been abandoned in prehistoric times. Characteristic also of the oldest graves were the earthenware receptacles found at these lowest levels of excavation in the houses, both indicating two periods of occupancy of the site. An important and interesting phase of the summer's work was the excavation of the Franciscan church and monastery of Hawikuh, erected in 1629, and destroyed when the pueblo was abandoned in 1670, and giving evidence of having been occupied by the Indians, at least intermittently, during subsequent years. This part of the work was in the immediate charge of Mr. Jesse L. Nusbaum, who has prepared a report thereon for publication when the excavation is finished next summer. Related to the Hawikuh excavations were those conducted at the ruin of Kechipauan, three miles to the eastward, during about three weeks in August. The investigations here proved beyond reasonable doubt that the history of Kechipauan and of Hawikuh was one and the same, and that, like Hawikuh Kechipauan was one of the celebrated "Seven Cities of Cibola" of early historic times. Including those recovered from the church and monastery, the pottery gathered at Hawikuh comprise 160 vessels, while those from Kechipauan number 115. In all, Hawikuh produced during the season 3,132 artifacts and Kechipauan 935, making a total of 4,067. As during the previous two seasons, Mr. E. F. Coffin rendered services as surveyor and general photographer, while Mr. Nusbaum, in addition to [[end page]] [[start page]] 5 supervising the excavations of the church and monastery, made the necessary photographs of those structures, as well as some of the pictures of the architectural features of the pueblo. Mr. Hodge and Mr. Nusbaum departed from Hawikuh on August 31, leaving the work in charge of Mr. Coffin until Mr. Nusbaum's return on September 16, when Mr. Coffin returned to New York and Mr. Nusbaum remained at Hawikuh, continuing the excavation of the monastery until November 5, 1919. Tennessee. Through the generosity of our director, Mr. Clarence B. Moore, field work was undertaken on the Tennessee River between Knoxville and Chattanooga, Tennessee, for the exploration of mounds and ancient burial-grounds. Mr. M. R. Harrington, assisted by Mr. Charles O. Turbyfill, conducted this expedition, and both Mr. Harrington and Mr. Turbyfill were in the field from August 1, until December 23. The result of this work was a most valuable and interesting contribution to the knowledge of archaeology of that region. There were many objects of stone pottery and shell recovered, the most important being large shell pendants and tools made from shell columellas. Before this exploration it had not been thought likely that the ancient people of that region had left many traces of their civilization, due to the fact that most skeletons uncovered there had no accompaniments. Mackenzie River. Due to a generous contribution of several members of the Board of Trustees, Mr. Donald A. Cadzow left New York on April 27, 1919, and proceeded to Fort Norman on the Mackenzie River in northwestern Canada, collecting ethnology from the Slavey Indians, and obtaining a large and valuable collection of ethnology from the Copper Eskimo. This collection with the specimens already in the Museum's possession, gives us probably the largest, and certainly the most complete collection from those northern Eskimo that there is in existence, and we may consider our work among those people as finished. New York. Through the generosity of Mr. Samuel Riker, Jr., archaeological work in Jefferson and Cayuga Counties, New York, was made possible. Mr. Alanson B. Skinner, assisted by Mr. William R. Blackie and Mr. William R. Blackie, Jr., as volunteer helpers, spent the time from August 4 until September 7 in Jefferson County, and obtained a very representative collection of specimens from there, including some extremely rare bone combs. From September 15 until November 1, Mr. Skinner, with the assistance of Mr. Donald A. Cadzow, continued work in Cayuga County, and added many valuable specimens to our New York State collection. Maine. Two localities in Lincoln County were visited by Mr. W. C. Orchard--Hog Island and Muscongus Island--both located off the northeast shore of Pemaquid Neck on Muscongus Bay. Vast quantities of clam shells were visible on both islands. Test holes were made in both places, and in some instances a depth of four feet was reached before getting to the bottom of the shellheap. Intermingled with broken shells were quantities of animal and fish bones. In the first named locality were found bone awls and a few scattered fragments of pottery and two incised bone beads. Test holes on Muscongus [[end page]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.