Viewing page 14 of 46
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
[[start page]] 2 MUSEUM BUILDING In the past fiscal year the installation of cases in the building has been completed, the last one having been erected about March 1st. The placing of the labels on the specimens has been continued and is now three-quarters completed with the remaining ones well in hand. The interior of the building has been painted for the first time, and with a washable paint. It shows every evidence of giving good satisfaction. On the roof of the Museum there has been built an additional storage room of galvanized iron which has proved of great usefulness. As additional safeguards it was also found necessary to put iron gratings on all the windows on the first floor as well as those in the areaway on the court side. A wash-room for the women employees of the Museum has been installed on the second floor. The Museum will be ready for opening at any time after October 1st that the Board of Trustees may designate. OTHER REAL ESTATE There has been no change in the status of the real estate owned by the Museum, situated on the triangular block bounded by St. Nicholas Avenue. St. Nicholas Place and 151st Street. Three of the tenants of the four rented houses remain the same, while the fourth one was changed on January 1st, at an increase of $25 a month rent. One of the houses on this block is used, as before, for the housing and care of the Physical Anthropological Department. Mr. James B. Ford has most generously continued his donations equivalent to the amount of taxes and interest on the mortgage of this property. CHANGES IN STAFF Dr. T. T. Waterman was appointed on the staff June 1, 1921, in order to make investigations of certain tribes in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. Dr. Waterman resigned from the staff on February 1st, 1922, in order to do research work for the Bureau of American Ethnology of Washington, D.C. Dr. William R. Blackie was appointed on February 1, 1922, as general assistant in the ethnological department. J. L. Nusbaum resigned on June 1, 1921, to take a position as custodian of the Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado. Miss Ruth Raines resigned from the editorial staff December 1, 1921. Arthur J. Reed was added to the janitor's department on January 1, 1922; and in co-operation with the American Geographical Society, John Boyle was appointed outside watchman on February 4, 1922. John McLaughlin resigned from his position as day watchman due to ill health. [end page] [start page] 3 EXPEDITIONS [italic] New Mexico [/italic]. Pursuant to the plan developed by Mr. Hendricks for archeological research at Hawikuh, the work in that interesting and important field was continued during the summer. Mr. Coffin and Mr. Cadzow went to New Mexico early in June, 1921, and prepared camp, followed a week later by Mr. Hodge. As during the season of 1920, excavation was confined to the ruined dwellings of Hawikuh (with the exception of a limited amount of work for the purpose of defining the extent of the northern cemetery of the pueblo), with the view of augmenting the information already gained in regard to their structural features. In this the work was successful, about 125 rooms being completely uncovered, surveyed, and plotted, detailed notes made, and many photographs taken This work was productive of important results, for while the excavations conducted especially during 1919-1920 shed considerable light on the methods employed by the ancient Zunis in their house-building, there were few dwellings exposed by the digging during the last season that did not add to our knowledge of the subject. Moreover, owing to the importance of the question of stratification of culture in Southwestern archeology, particular attention was given by the expedition to the study of this subject at Hawikuh, where various distinct types of pottery are found at varying levels and where we have the exceptional advantage of the occurrence of objects of European provenience during the later preiod of the pueblo's occupancy. As in previous years many artifacts that afford evidence of this stratification, and illustrate the material culture of the Zunis of Hawikuh, were recovered and have been added to the collections of the Museum. The second of the two pre-Hawikuh ceremonial chambers, or kivas, found during the previous year, was completely uncovered in the low land several hundred yards west of the great ruin. This like the other, proved to be the work of a people that occupied the site perhaps five hundred years before the first houses of Hawikuh were built, although natives of that pueblo visited the spot, built and occupied small temporary dwellings thereon, buried some of their dead there, and took away the stones of fallen walls for constructing houses at their own village. Of even greater importance to the restoration of the life of Hawikuh, however, was the discovery, during the digging of a great trench entirely across the former plaza of the pueblo, of a rectangular kiva, 14 1/2 by 22 1/2 feet, the roof of which was encountered about 10 1/2 feet and the floor 16 1/2 feet beneath the present surface. The building was sufficiently well preserved to show the method of construction, even the roof, with its massive pine timbers brought from a distance of eight or ten miles, being in place. From descriptions left by the first Spaniards to visit the place in 1540, it is quite probable that this kiva was in existence at that time, and there is abundant evidence that its use was not ended until after the establishment of the first Franciscan missionaries at Hawikuh in 1629. [[end page]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.