Viewing page 38 of 46
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
[[start page]] 4 Even before the Museum was formally opened to the public in November, 1922, it was realized that the enormous increase in the collections from the time the building at Broadway and 155th Street was erected in 1916, would necessitate additional facilities for display and study ere many years elapsed. At the present time the exhibitions on the three floors of the Museum devoted to the purpose are unsatisfactory by reason of crowding, while storage facilities for study collections are entirely inadequate, every available foot of space in the basement of the building being utilized. It is therefore with gratification that this timely gift of additional land to the Museum by Mr. Huntington has been received by the trustees. It is planned to erect ultimately on the new site a building of sufficient capacity to enable the display of collections, to provide rooms for students of American archeology and ethnology, to afford storage of study and exchange collections in such manner that they may always be accessible, and to provide laboratory space. In addition it is planned to include a properly equipped hall for lectures on the subjects to which the foundation is devoted. It is the intention to continue the use of the present building for exhibition purposes. Such a program will involve considerable time and expense. It is not proposed to erect the entire building at once, but it is hoped that in the near future work will be commenced on its first unit. Before that time, however, the area that will form the open court will be devoted to Indian gardens, where varieties of vegetable products long raised by the Indians may be cultivated. Later, large outdoor models of Indian habitations will be constructed as part of the display of native activities. There has been no change in the status of real estate owned by the Museum, situated on the triangular block bounded by St. Nicholas Avenue, St. Nicholas Place and 151st Street. The tenants of the four rented houses remain the same. One of the houses on this block is used, as always, for the housing and care of the Physical Anthropological Department. Mr. James B. Ford has most generously continued his donations equivalent to the amount of taxes and interest on the mortgage of this property. CHANGES IN STAFF During the fiscal year the following members were added to the scientific staff of the Museum: June 1, 1923. S.K. Lothrop July 1, 1923. Melvin R. Gilmore The following were added during the same period: July 15, 1923. Alfred C. Benton, floorman March 1, 1924. Morgan Yates, cleaner March 15, 1924. F. T. Crowley, watchman [[endpage]] [[start page]] 5 The following members resigned: April 30, 1923. John Patterson, floorman June 1, 1923. Miss Irmgarde Koemmenich, of the Physical Anthropological Department July 14, 1923. John Y. Phillips, floorman February 29, 1924. Robert S. Adams, cleaner March 31, 1924. John Metzger, watchman EXPEDITIONS New Mexico. The excavations at Hawikuh, New Mexico, were resumed by Mr. Hodge in the middle of July and were brought to conclusion at the close of September. As is well know, these archeological researches have been conducted under Mr. Hendricks' generous patronage during the last seven seasons, excepting 1922, when no field work was done. While the excavation of this noted pueblo with its extensive cemeteries cannot be said to be entirely completed, it is believed that sufficient subjective material has been gathered to enable the approximate interpretation of the life of the Zunis who lived at Hawikuh for centuries. The objects gathered during the summer of 1923 form an important addition to the thousands unearthed in the preceding years, and altogether afford abundant data for determining the stratification of the several culture periods. While the investigations at Hawikuh were in progress, a joint expedition conducted excavations at Kechipauan, another ancient Zuni ruin, three miles eastward. This expedition was the result of a plan developed in England during the previous year by the Director and Mr. Louis C.G. Clarke, Director of the University Museum at Cambridge, who met the traveling and field expenses. The results of this research, under the immediate supervision of Dr. S.K. Lothrop of the Museum staff, were very successful, although little was found in the culture of Kechipauan that differed from that of Hawikuh. The Museum had the choice of artifacts found by the Kechipauan Party, while the remainder were sent to Mr. Clarke. Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma. The months of April and May, 1923 marked the end of the second Ozark expedition which started out early in January in charge of Mr. M.R. Harrington, with Mr. C.O. Turbyfill as chief assistant. Several dry rock-shelters were explored during April on Little Sugar Creek in Macdonald County, Missouri, and a partial reconnaissance was made of the valley of King's River, in Madison County, Arkansas. The work in both places yielded specimens of prehistoric basketry, textiles and wooden articles in addition to the stone implements, bone implements and pottery usually found, all for the most part referable to the people we have named "Bluffdwellers." In May a canoe voyage down White River in Arkansas and Missouri, with a reconnaissance of the lower valley of Buffalo River in Arkansas, showed that [[end page]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.