Viewing page 16 of 41

4

construction, now taking place in front of it.  One of the houses on this block is used, as always, for the housing and care of the Physical Antropological Department.
Mr. James B. Ford has most generously continued his donations equivalent to the amount of taxes and interest on the mortgage of this property.

CHANGES IN STAFF
On January 1, 1926, Mr. Arthur Woodward was added to the scientific staff of the Museum.  On April 20, 1925, Miss Vivian Haffner was appointed stenographer; and on October 1, 1925, Charles Mauger as watchman.
On August 17, 1925, Mr. Alanson Skinner, esteemed member of the Museum staff, was killed in an automobile accident while traveling in North Dakota on an ethnological collecting trip among the Sioux.
On September 1, 1925, William Gillespie, watchman, resigned.

EXPEDITIONS

Nevada.  During the months of April and May, 1925, Mr. M. R. Harrington remained in charge of the Nevada expedition, excavating the ruins of Pueblo Grande de Nevada, popularly known as the Lost City, near St. Thomas, in Clark County of that state, working in cooperation with the State of Nevada.  Most of this time was devoted to the examination of the house ruins on the hilltops, which, though badly eroded, were easily accessible, and promised a greater reward in specimens and information in the limited time and with the samll force available than the better preserved but deeply buried ruins on the adjacent lowlands.

During the course of this work many specimens were recovered, including perfect and restorable pottery vessels, a number of them decorated with painted designs, tubular pipes, and many miscellaneous implements and ornaments of stone and bone, all dating from that distant prehistoric epoch when the pre-Pueblo period was merging into the early Pueblo.

Cooperative work for the Governor of Nevada occupied several days in the latter part of May when the expedition personnel supervised the Indian part of a historical pageant, held on the site of the ancient Pueblo City.

On June 1st the expedition was closed for the season on account of the heat.  Mr. Harrington then made a short reconnoissance trip to the vicinity of Baker, Nevada, about two hundred miles north of St. Thomas.  Here several caves and other sites occupied by various peoples in ancient times were visited, and undeniable traces of Puebloan culture found, which established a new northwestern outpost for these people, and for their distribution in pre-Columbian America. Equally interesting were indications which seem to

[[end page]]
[[start page]]

5

point to the presence of the early Basket-Makers in Eastern Nevada, probably a new farthest-west record for this people, whose culture is the earliest thus far defined by archaeologists in the Southwest.

The Nevada expedition recommenced operations November 1st, under temporary charge of Mr. C. O. Turbyfill.  Mr. Harrington arrived at St Thomas about the middle of December, then resuming command of the Nevada expedition.

During November and December the work of the expedition, under the supervision of Mr. Turbyfill, was confined mostly to completing the exploration of the Salt Caves about four miles south of St. Thomas, on the property of the Virgin River Salt Company.  These caves, it was found, had been aboriginal salt mines, and showed extensive deposits of refuse left by the ancient miners, as well as the marks of their mining operations on the ledges of solid rock-salt.  In the refuse were found hundreds of stone picks and stone hammers used by the old workers, and some of the hammers still retained their original wooden handles and their wrappings of yucca fiber intact.  There were also fragments of torches, several complete sandals of unusual type, a netted bag of Indian hemp fiber, and many other articles, all perfectly preserved by the dryness of the cavern, in addition to the preservative action of the salt.

Finishing the Salt Cave, the Nevada expedition early in January, 1926, turned its attention once more to Pueblo Grande de Nevada, and is continuing the excavation of its ruins.  This time it was decided to examine the lowland ruins which would be better preserved on account of the protective covering of sand.  One ruin, consisting of thirty rooms, representing two different periods, and built about an oval court, has already been uncovered; and a second, which promises to be much larger, is well under way. Of this, twenty-five rooms, of several different periods, have bee already laid bare. Some of the walls were found to measure three to four feet in height, which is most unusual in an adobe ruin of this easy type.  The rooms are usually arranged in semi-circular rows.

In the excavation of these house ruins many specimens of interest have been found, especially with burials beneath the floor of the rooms and in the ash dumps adjoining the houses.  These have yielded some good  restorable pottery vessels, including types not found last year, and in one case first-class examples of ancient cotton cloth and of basketry, preserved by the accidental sealing of the top of the grave with adobe.

New York and Canada.  Early in May the work which had been started in 1924 by Mr. Donald A. Cadzow on the prehistoric Algonkian burial site on Frontenac Island, Cayuga Lake, New York, was continued.  Twelve burials were unearthed and considerable additional information on the archaic Algonkian occupation in New York State was recorded.  A study of the many bone

[[end page]]
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.