Viewing page 31 of 40

[[centered]] 8 [[/centered]]

[[centered]] OTHER REAL ESTATE [[/centered]]

St. Nicholas Avenue property situated on the triangular block, bounded by Saint Nicholas Ave., Saint Nicholas place and 151st St., has been most advantageously sold for the sum of $90,000.00.

[[centered]] CHANGES IN STAFF [[/centered]]

During the past four months Professor Rudolph Schuller has been engaged in translating father Molina's Mexican dictionary (1555) and expects to finish it before June 1, 1930.

[[centered]] EXPEDITIONS [[/centered]]

[[italic]] Texas. [[/italic]] Extensive archaeological research work on caves in southwestern Texas was conducted by Mr. Edwin F. Coffin.

[[italic]] Idaho. [[/italic]] Archaeological work on caves in Idaho was conducted by Mr. Louis Schellbach.

[[italic]] Oregon and Nevada. [[/italic]] An Ethnological expedition among the Modoc, Paiute and Klamath Lake Indians was conducted by Mr. E. H. Davis.

[[italic]] Labrador. [[/italic]] Dr. Frank G. Speck continued his investigations among the Nascapee.

[[italic]] Canada. [[/italic]] Mr. Frederick Johnson conducted an ethnological trip to the Algonkin Indians of Lake Barriere, Québec.

[[italic]] Honduras. [[/italic]] In the month of January, Lady Richmond Brown and Mr. F. A. Mitchell-Hedges left New York on an expedition to make a general survey of the archaeological and ethnological conditions of the Mosquitia region.

[[italic]] Venezuela. [[/italic]] Dr. Herbert Spencer Dickey left New York the latter part of March for another expedition to the headwaters of the Orinoco River.

[[italic]] Yucatán. [[/italic]] During the months of January and February, Capt. Robert R. Bennett conducted an expedition to Yucatán for the purpose of surveying the old stone roads around Coba.

[[italic]] Chile. [[/italic]] Through the generosity of Mrs. Thea Heye, Dr. S. K. Lothrop is conducting archaeological and ethnological expedition in Chile.

[[centered]] COLLECTIONS PRESENTED [[/centered]]

Mrs. Thea Heye continued her very generous donations to the Museum including many specimens of great value, particularly from Mexico and Peru,

[[End page]]
[[start page]]
[[centered]] 9 [[/centered]]
as well as comprehensive collections of ethnology and archaeology from the United States.

Through the generosity of Mr. Blair S. Williams the Museum's collections are greatly enhanced by a gift of two Mohawk wampum belts, and a most important series of wampum strings used in the Condolence Ceremony.

A particularly fine Chimayo blanket from New Mexico was presented by Dr. Edgar S. Thomson.

Mr. Joseph Keppler, vice president of the Museum, during the year has presented some very valuable negatives and photographs, as well as many additions to our Library.

Among the larger collections presented was a collection of three hundred twenty-four specimens collected many years ago on the northwest coast. This invaluable collection was given by Dr. and Mrs. A. Eugene Austin.

Among the most interesting collections received by gift, during the year, was from lady Richmond Brown and Mr. F. A. Mitchell-Hedges consisting of six hundred and twelve specimens from the little-known Chucunaque Indians of Panama. With the exception of a collection given by the above donors to the British Museum in London, this is the only collection known from these people.

Mr. F. W. Hodge, of the Museum staff, has presented a number of interesting specimens from New Mexico.

Through the generosity of Mrs. Margaret M. Ford, and Mr. A. Russell Metz, the collection of their father, the late Mr. Albert R. Metz, was presented to the Museum consisting of three hundred and twenty specimens of archaeological material from Morris County, New Jersey.

Mr. Bertram T. Lee presented to the Museum an interesting lot of material consisting of forty-three specimens from the Nasca region of Peru.

Mrs. William I. Lander gave to the Museum during the year, a collection of Athapascan and Sioux ethnology.

Another very valuable collection obtained during the year was from Mr. Gari Melchers of ethnological material collected from the Northwest Territory in Canada down to Arizona. This collections extremely old and very valuable as it was acquired by the donors father from the collection of John Mix Stanley, about 1870. There are thirty-eight pieces in the collection among which are very old costumes and a buffalo hide shield.
























Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.