Viewing page 8 of 40

[[decorative border]]

of ensuring the colored race of trained medical men and women who would safeguard the health and welfare of their countrymen.

A firm belief in the value of the school has induced many physicians and dentists of national reputation to offer willingly their services sometimes to their own disadvantage.  Instances of long and devoted service are many, a few of which I shall briefly recall.  The late Dr. Daniel Smith Lamb, Professor Emeritus of Anatomy, gave fifty years, 18873-1923, there now stands in our halls a tablet dedicated in his honor.

Dr. Edward A. Balloch, our devoted dean, has been an active member of the faculty, a devoted friend and leader since 1879.  He shall always be remembered with love and reverence by his former pupils, associates and friends.

Our late Dr. Edward D. Williston was associated with the school since 1894.  His name will be forever inscribed in the annals of our school as a father to those with whom he came in contact directly or indirectly.

Time and space would not permit us to pay honor and homage to all those who have dedicated their lives to this noble task.  Therefore, let us pass on.

In 1893, the Medical faculty formally established a Training School for Nurses in connection with the hospital.

Upon the retirement of Dr. Reyburn as dean in 1908, Dr. Edward A. Balloch was elected dean.

As noted above, the old medical building was erected in 1869, it annex in 1892.  These served their time and day.

Soon there arose the need for a larger and better equipped building to accommodate a larger student body and to render possible the enormous medical science.  The plant, therefore proved inadequate.

The American Medical Association also decreed that, in order that any medical college should retain its Class A rating, it should possess an annual income of $25,000 in addition to the amount received from students' fees.  The General Education Board, in 1920, offered to give as an endowment to our school a sums of $250,000, provided the university should raise a like amount within a certain period.  After a long and arduous campaign lasting from 1920 to 1928, this amount was raised by the students, alumni, and friends of the university.
 
Our school has always aimed to develop the ability and initiative of its students.  In 1924, owing to the industry, ability and initiative of one of its students in medicine, Kelly Miller, Jr., an undergraduate paper, The Howard Medical News, was founded.  This paper proved of value not only to the students, but also to the friends and alumni, nay, indeed, also to medical men.  For it has published news of the university in general, and 

[[end page]]
[[start page]]

[[decorative border]]

has discussed many important medical topics.  From time to time, men of national and international repute have contributed to its columns.

The Kappa Pi Honorary Scholarship Society was founded by a student, now Dr. Goldsberry, in 1925.  The year 1925 marks another milestone along the highway of progress.

Taking cognizance of our needs, Congress appropriaed $370,000 for the erection of a new building, providing the university should raise $130,000 for equipment.  The university complied with its part of the agreement and the corner stone of the new building was laid on June 10, 1927.  The climax occurred in October, 1927, when the building was completed and ready for occupancy.

Dedicatory exercises were held on April 9 and 10, 1928, participated in by men of note from all parts of the country.  As soon as the new medical building was occupied, the old one was entirely remodeled and adapted for the uses of the Dental and Pharmaceutical departments.

Our venerable dean, having now reached the age of retirement, was called upon to retire in June, 1928.  Fortunate, indeed, is he who sees the realization of his fondest hopes and desires!  Well can he say: "My task is o'er, I have kept the faith."  to his memory stands the new medical building.  In its halls, a beautiful tablet bears his name.  He acted as dean for the year 1928-1929, at which time he rounds out fifty years of unselfish devotion to his task.

The path of life is not always one of roses.  Thorns and stones mar the way.  The Grim Reaper has already visited us, and lo! within a single year, he mows down three of our benefactors.
 
On July 22, 1928, Dr. E. D. Williston, professor of Obstetrics, after thirty-five years of humanitarian service to our school, passed to the great beyond.

Dr. Charles B. Purvis, sole surviving member of the first faculty of the Medical School, passed to "that bourne whence no man returns," on January 30, 1929.  He was appointed Professor of Materia Medica and Therapeutics in 1869, and afterward secretary of the faculty, Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology and finally a trustee of the university.

Dr. Daniel Smith Lamb, Proffesor Emeritus of Anatomy, after fifty years of service, 1873-1923, yielded his great spirit to the Maker on April 21, 1929.  This distinguished physician and teacher sought to serve humanity even in his death.  He bequeathed his body and vital organs to various medical centers for scientific study.

"Great oaks from little acorns grow."  From a faculty of nine our school has grown to a faculty of eighty-five.  From a student body of eight, she has grown to one of over two hundred.  From nothing in the treasury, she has grown to an endowment of $500,000.  And she will grow with the ages.  May she ever continue to serve humanity!  
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.