Viewing page 7 of 24
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
maining years of Mr. Hoffman's life and during that entire period he remained its president. Mr. Levi Brown has assisted him as secretary. The organization is now headed by Mr. Ulysses Banks who succeeded Mr. Hoffman about two years ago. Mr. Banks is continuing the policy of "A better Anacostia for our people." This organization has seen the area change from a forest of hills and dales to an organized suburban district. Through its instrumentality, this section has been granted electric lights, a water and sewerage system, public roads, and public transportation. These facilities are the result of zealous efforst on the part of the organization's members. It is now the aim of this group to provide sidewalks for the entire section. Birney School salutes The Barry Farms Civic Association. H.D. Norville Interview with Mr. Levi Brown * * * The Barry Farms Residents Council An organization comprised of residents living in and around, the Barry Farms Project was begun in 1943. This organization was known as the Barry Farms Residents Council. This civic organziation aims to cooperate with the National Capital Housing Authority--under whose jurisdiction the Barry Farms Project comes, in encouraging the progress of Public Housing by endorsing health, cleanliness, and the proctection of property, both public and private. More than six hundred six units comprose this organization, representing well over four thousand individuals. Monthly meetings are held at the Community Recreation Center, 1230 Sumner Rd., S.E. The officer in this Council are President, three Vice-Presidents, Secretary, Treasurer, Business Manager and Chaplain. Since the greater majority of the listed membership of the Barry Farms Residents Council are from states where voting is permitted, those members are encouraged to take advantage of the ballot in whatever measures will contribute toward the improvement of the community. E.H. Polk Interview with Mr. S.A. Green * * * The Carver Civic Association Foremost among the several civic organizations of the Anacostia Area is the Carver Civic Association, so named in commemoration of the great Negro scientist, George Washington Carver. This civic association includes the area bounded by High St., Bangor St., Pomery Rd., and Douglass Rd. With the ever increasing number of new homes being built in this area and the infiltration of many new residents into the community, it was felt by some citizens that there was now a defieinted need for an organization of the old and new residents, in order to establish an understanindg of the traditions and ideals of community life in Anacostia. Thus, in the fall of 1945, Rev. John E. Morris, pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church in Occquan, Virginia, and chaplain of the Federation of Civic Associations, called together a group of civicminded citizens and formed the Carver Civic Association. The group elected Rev. Morris as its president, Mr. Charles Shumate as Vice-president, and Mr. David Logan as secretary-treasurre. Believing, as he does, that "Cleanliness is Godliness," Rev. Morris immediately set out to instill a pride for the appearance of the homes and streets of the community. Clean-up campaigns were started and prizes were awarded for the most attractive front and backyards of the neighborhood. The campaign slogan was "Make your backyard as beautiful as your front-yard." Through the effors of this organization shade trees have been planted on streets that were previously barren, and larger street lights that were previously barren, and larger streets lights have replaced the smaller ones which were so inadequate. Committees were formed to investigate and bring to the attention of the people ways and means of improving, with not too much expense, their homes and its evironment. Rev. Morris and his associates diligently lectured that the character development of our children is greatly affected by environment. "The children of today," he says, "are the leaders of tomorrow." It is vital to instill this in them. The Carver Civic Association is continuously striving to accomplish its goal. C.M. Mitchell Interview with Rev. J.E. Morris * * * The Erie Heights Civic Association, Inc. The Erie Heights Civic Association, Incorporated, was formed in September, 1948. This association is a non-profit organization, founded upon the principles of mutual help and protection. Some of our achievements after the election and installation of officers are as follows: Incorporation of the Association, Admittance to D.C. Federation of Civic Associations, Inc. The successful campaign for better street lights, development of Fort Stanton Park, installation of a police call box, police patrol, paving of streets in the area, installation of a mail box, support of the fight for better schools in the Anacostia area, petitioin to zone the area residential restricted, cooperation with the recreation department for the establishment of the Fort Stanton Day Camp, contributions to the poor, membership in the N.A.A.C.P. and recreational activities for the members of the association and their friends. We won the Evening Star award for outstanding civic accomplishments the first year we were organized and said trophy is still in our possession. We supported the campaign for mixed or integated playgrounds, schools and restaurants. We supported the general request for traffic lights at Nichols Avenue and Howard Road. We have been advised that through our efforts an $80,000.00 field house is to be erected in the park known as Fort Stanton. We have been instrumental in developing thus far, basketball courts, baseball diamonds, tennis courts, drinking fountains and play areas for children. It is our intention to wage fights, not only PAGE 7
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact email@example.com.