10 Total Pages 20 Contributing Members
Jan Butterfield was an art writer and critic of contemporary art who spent most of her career in California. She is best known for her writings on late twentieth century installation and craft artists, particularly those who worked in California and the American West. In Jan Butterfield’s papers at the Archives of American Art, there are 107 sound tape reels, 97 cassettes, and 1 videoreel of her interviews. Jan Butterfield conducted this interview with photographer Ansel Adams in December 1976. Please view the instructions for transcribing audio collections before beginning.
13 Total Pages 16 Contributing Members
Art historian and critic Judith Wilson wrote about visual art and cultural politics for Ms. Magazine and in her academic career focused on African American art and black visual culture. Within Wilson’s papers at the Archives of American Art there are 97 sound cassette tapes and four CDs of interviews conducted with artists, their associates, and collectors for various writing projects. Judith Wilson conducted this interview with Washington, DC based Color Field painter and educator Sam Gilliam on June 29, 1978. Please view the instructions for transcribing audio collections before beginning.
1,162 Total Pages 107 Contributing Members
Celebrate the history of women artists and art historians by exploring and transcribing archival collections from the Archives of American Art. Through diaries, notebooks, essays, and correspondence, learn about the life and careers of painters, sculptors, writers, critics, art historians, and other creative women who made their mark on American history.
- "On Educating Children in the Plastic Arts," Cecilia Beaux
- Cecilia Beaux's 1905 Diary
- Cecilia Beaux's Correspondence with Dorothea Gilder, 1905
- Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Art Journal, 1906-1907
- Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Diary, 1894-1895
- Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Diary, Vol. II, 1895-1896
- Lecture about being a sculptor by Anna Coleman Ladd, circa 1930
- Anna Coleman Ladd letters American Red Cross Studio for Portrait-Masks File, 1919-1925
- Anna Coleman Ladd's Notebook, 1917
- Gertrude Vanderbilt Whitney's Juilly Hospital Journals, 1914
- Correspondence between Grace Mott Johnson and Andrew Michael Dasburg, 1910
- Letters from Grace Mott Johnson to Alfred Dasburg, 1914-1919
- "The Johnson Monthly," 1900
- Esther Baldwin Williams's Diary, 1892-1896
- Esther Baldwin Williams's Diary, 1897-1902
- Letters from Esther Baldwin Williams to Esther Williams