Virginia Assistant Commissioner, Records Relating to Bureau Functions, Monthly Reports on Confiscated and Abandoned Lands, Aug. 1865–Jan. 1867, Part 1

About the Project

The Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands, often referred to as the Freedmen’s Bureau, was established on March 3, 1865. The duties of the Freedmen’s Bureau included supervision of all affairs relating to refugees, freedmen, and the custody of abandoned lands and property. These documents come from the Records of the Assistant Commissioner for the State of Virginia, Series 7: Records Relating to Specific Bureau Functions.

 

Additional resources are available on the Freedmen's Bureau Instructions Page. Please help us transcribe these records to learn more about the lives of formerly enslaved men and women during the Reconstruction Era.

Read more

|
Show pages needing (scroll down to load more): Transcription | All
Project Progress (details)
44 pages not yet started
56 pages partially transcribed
1 pages needing review
199 pages completed
Difficulty
5 out of 5
(details)

219

Contributing
members

300

Total
pages