Viewing page 13 of 61
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
and training schools for Indian campaigning. In July 1863, when the Confederate Army was marching toward Gettsysburg the town was shelled by Gen. Fitzhugh Lee and the buildings of the garrison, save the old Guard House were burned. In 1865 they were rebuilt. At midnight October 5, 1879, a party of 82 Sioux boys and girls were brought to Carlisle from the Rosebud and Pine Ridge Agencies, South Dakota, by Capt. R. H. Pratt, and thus began the training of the Indian far removed from home life and ties. Having in charge anumber of prisoners of war from the Kiowa, Comanche, Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes at Ft. Marion, St. Augustine, Florida, he conceived the idea of giving them training in the peaceful pursuits of their white neighbors. The old Army Post at this place was put at his disposal in 1879. From this small beginning the work grew until it has reached its present proportions. In July 1904, Brig. Gen. R. H. Pratt was succeeded by Major W. A. Mercer, U. S. A., of the 11th Cavalry, who was detailed for this duty and who had been in charge of five of the large agencies with about sixteen years experience as agent on the Reservations in the West and the Northwest, thus coming to this important post, fully equipped to grapple with its many difficult problems, particularly as affects their home environment. During its history it has had 3,773 boys and 2,238 girls under its care, a total of 6,011 pupils. Present Equipment At present the School has the following Buildings. Teachers' Quarters, nine Quarters for Employees and Superintendent, Administration Building, Dining Hall, Laundry, Photographic Studio, Girls' Quarters, Large Boys' Quarters, Small Boys' Quarters, Gymnasium, Academic Building, Guard House, Hospital, Stables, Athletic Cage, Industrial Building, Commissary, Fire Engine House, Large Athletic Field, and two 22 [[end page]] [[start page]] large Bank Barns and Brick Farm Houses. The Campus covers an area of about 29 acres, with large trees, and a fine court for parade grounds, tennis and croquet courts. Two farms of fine limestone land directly adjoining the School on the East containing about 270 acres. The Printery is equipped with four Job Presses, and one Babcock Pony Cylinder Press, all run by electric motors, various fonts of type from which is printed the official weekly THE ARROW by the boys, under the supervision of competent instructors, also a paper cutter, card cutter, cabinets, etc. The Carpenter department is equipped with scroll saw, planer, turning lathe, circular saw, mortiser, tenoner, moulder, all run by electric motors. The Power Plant is equipped with four Geary water tube boilers of 150 horse power each. The Laundry with a mangle, two washers, two starchers. The Kitchen has three covered iron tanks and two copper boilers, where cooking is done under forty pounds pressure; also four large steel ranges. In the Basement is the Bakery. An octagonal oven with revolving floor of five barrels of flour capacity a dough mixer, and cake and cracker machine. Religious There are represented among the children 77 tribes from Florida to the Dakotas, from New York to Arizona, and from Washington to Alaska, consequently there is a diversity of religious interests. Students are encouraged to attend and unite with some church, if they are not already members. Proselyting is strictly prohibited. No change of church relations can be made except by written consent of the parents or guardians to the Superintendent. Attendance upon religious services is compulsory. 23
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.