Viewing page 90 of 137

Missiles at the University of Michigan, and in 1947 was assigned as Commanding Officer of the First Guided Missiles Group at Elgin Fld., Florida. In 1948, this group formed Air Task Unit 7.4.2 and carried out the drone unit phase of atomic energy tests in operation Sandstone. He came to the AWC from Elgin. His proposed assignment after AWC is in DCS/M, Hq, USAF. Hobbies are golf, tennis, fishing, and home workshop. His wife, Frances, (Fran), is from San Antonio, Tex.


John was born 1 November 1914 at Endicott, Washington but now calls Colfax, Washington his home. He studied electrical engineering at Washington State College, graduating in 1936. He worked for Pan American Airways at Alameda, California until he joined the Marine Corps in the spring of 1938. He completed flight training in the summer of 1939 and his next duty was at the Marine Basic School in Philadelphia. He qualified aboard an aircraft carrier while attached to the Naval Air Station, San Diego, California in 1940. In January of 1941, he was sent to Ewa, Oahu where he remained until late November. He participated in the defense of Wake Island, was subsequently captured and held in the vicinity of Shanghai, China. He escaped in the spring of 1945 and after spending some time with the Chinese Communist army, made his way to Kunming, China. After a short leave in the U. S. he was assigned to duty at the Overhaul and Repair Facility at El Toro, California. He attended the Marine Air Infantry School at Quantico, Va., in early 1946. Upon graduation his next duty was with the Marine Corps Aviation Technical School where he was the Commanding Officer when ordered to the AWC. His proposed assignment is to El Toro, California. In addition to flying, John's hobbies are mechanics, woodworking, and golf. His wife, June, is from San Francisco, California.


"Dick" was born 26 Feb. 1915, in the Garden Spot of the North East, namely, Dunkirk, New York. He graduated from the Military Academy in 1937, proceeding therefrom to the flying school at Randolph and Kelly, from which he emerged in Oct. 1938 with a shiny new pair of wings. He proceeded forthwith to Langley Field for duty with the 8th Pursuit Group, and followed the normal squadron duty routine for the next couple years. He was transferred to the newly activated 36th Pursuit Group and, in Jan. 1941, went with the Group to the brand new field of Losey in Puerto Rico, and there was graduated from a squadron to group commander. In June 1942, he was transferred to England where he first served for a short time in the G-3 section of ETOUSA, after which he was CO of the 350th Fighter Group. This Group went into North Africa for tactical support work and after about 14 missions, Dick forgot to duck some AA and spent the rest of the war reading about same in the German Newspapers. Liberation came on 29 April 1945 but was short-lived, because he was assigned to Washington where spent four years, first in G-2 and then in A-2. Present plans seem to indicate that he will stay on at Maxwell on Faculty of AWC. His wife, Madelyn, is from Nashua, N.H. Children are July (10), Kerry (4),_Susan (2 1/2).

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact