Viewing page 3 of 38

from the northeast until the afternoon of the 15th.The center forward starter broke on that date and another was obtained from Rockaway Naval Air Station by seaplane from that station.  This arrived at 4.30, morning of the 14th.

     It had been intended to start at daylight of the 14th.  Delay was experienced, however, first in installing the new starter received;second, by failure of ail pressure in the center forward engine; third, by examination found necessary due to wobbling of the propeller on the same engine, which was discovered in a six-minute trial flight.  The oil pressure finally worked up to normal after considerable water had been drained off.  The vibration of the propeller could not be eliminated, and it was decided to commence the run, favoring that engine as much as possible.

     When start was finally made at 1.07 G.M.T.,the wind  was about 18 knots, direction wxs at altitudes between 500 and 1000 feet. Above 1000 it shifted more to the westward.  Altitude was therefore maintained between 500 and 1000.Visibility about 12 miles.

    The run to Halifax was without particular incident except the reception of and reply to a message from the Navy Department when about 20 miles southwest of Seal Island, N.S.  All destroyers and landmarks were picked up.  Visibility reduced to 10 miles near Nova Scotia.  Arrangements had been made and were carried out for each destroyer to steam on course to meet station at full speed a soon as sighting the seaplane;this procedure was carried out on subsequent flights when ever MC-4 acted singly, and is considered preferable for the safety of the plane in case of forced landing, and for other reasons.

     Landing was made at Halifax at 5.10 p.m. and the plane secured astern of the Baltimore.  For repairs made are reports attached.

     Start was made for Trepassey Bay, Newfoundland, at 12.53 G.M.T.  15 May, taking off up the bay.  Circled and passed over Baltimore standing out at 1.02.  Due to drop in oil pressure in center forward engine and missing found it desirable to land which was done close to shore at 1.25.  After making repairs took off at 3.46 and continued on to 

    Visibility was about 20 miles.  Between Cape Breton Island and St.pierre, it reduced to 15.  Varying winds were obtained, sometimes of great velocity but for the most part in our favor.  All destroyers and landmarks were sighted.

     Landing was made at Trepassey at 9.59, and once again the NO Seaplane Division One was a complete unit.  The principal work done here was
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact