Viewing page 43 of 356

[[collage of newspaper clippings]]
Samuel DiFalco, Surroga[[text cut off]] Power in New York City 

S. Samuel DiFalco, a longtime Manhattan Surrogate, died Wednesday night of a heart attack while dining with friends at the Columbus Club, in Manhattan. He was 71 years old.

Before retiring at the end of 1976, when he reached the mandatory retirement age, Mr. DiFalco spent nearly three decades on the bench, first as a justice of State Supreme Court, then as Surrogate, a position that gave him jurisdiction over the estates of Manhattan residents.

His tenure on the bench, his lifelong involvement in Democratic political circles and his identification with Italian-American political and social groups made him a powerful political force in the city.

Despite his many demurrers that he was apolitical, he maintained close ties to leaders of the Democratic and Republican Parties.

Trouble With Authorities

In the last few years, though, his political influence waned as he encountered trouble with law-enforcement authorities.

At the time of his death, he was under indictment by the office of District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau of Manhattan for criminal contempt. Last Feb. 15, he was charged with contempt after telling a grand jury that he could not remember having spoken to a law assistant about arranging favorable rulings for clients of his son's law firm.

Two years before that, in one of the most dramatic series of indictments brought by Maurice H. Nadjari in his last months as special state prosecutor, Mr. DiFalco and Justice Irving H. Saypol of State Supreme Court were charged with illegally steering $20,000 in commissions to Justice Saypol's son in exchange for the justice's appointment of lawyers to court assignments.

The charges against both men were subsequently dismissed. Justice Saypol [[text cut off]] 

Publisher Of Oklahoma Eagle Is Buried At 75

TULSA, Okla. (NNPA) - Edward L. Goodwin, Sr., publisher of the Oklahoma Eagle, noted businessman and attorney, was buried here last week following private services at First Baptist Church. He was 75.

Out of the ashes of the 1921 race riot here, when dozens of blocks of Black homes were destroyed, Goodwin began to build his business career following graduation in 1925 from Fisk University where he and the famous band leader Jimmy Lunceford were ends on the varsity football team.

Real estate, a shoe store, shoe shine stands, a funeral home, taverns and newspaper publishing, topped off by successful law practice, marked Goodwin's financial empire building on a firm foundation laid by his merchant father James H. Goodwin.

The perceptive Goodwin made his first real money operating taverns immediately af[[text cut off]] The day the ban on the [[text cut off]] ended in 1933 [[text cut off]]

[[caption]] Edward L. Goodwin [[/caption]]

Attorney Marion Gaines Hill Dead at 69; Burial Friday

Attorney Marion Gaines Hill, of East Elmhurst, N.Y., died last Tuesday at the New York Infirmary, after a long illness. He was 69.

Attorney Hill, who served as an inspiration to many young lawyers while they served as his law clerk, was one of East Elmhurst's most active and distinguished citizens.

A practicing lawyer, with offices at 209 West 125th Street, he was an Elder at the Church of the Master in Harlem, a life member and member of the board of governors of the National Bar A[[text cut off]] 

Mrs. E. Juanita Hill, a guidance counselor in the City School System, Attorney Hill is survived by his wife, a son, Attorney William Gaines Hill, a granddaughter, Tiffany Hill, and a grandson, William Hill Jr.

His body was on view at the Triboro Funeral Home, 106-22 Northern Boulevard in Corona, from 5 to 9 on Wednesday and from 1 to 5 p.m. on Thursday.

A wake was held at [[text cut off]] 

Death Takes Two Veteran Newsmen; Loeb, Matthews
[[caption]] Charles H. Loeb (left)
Ralph D. Matthews (right) [[/caption]]

[[first column of article cut off]] in Cleveland. Both served as NNPA war correspondents. The latter covered the Pacific theatre during World War II, and the former reported on the Korean conflict. 

Matthews was the Afro's star reporter in addition to serving as editor of the New York Afro, Washington Afro, Newark Afro, and Philadelphia Afro at various times. He covered most major events during his time, including the coronation of England's George VI in 1937. Six years later, he received the Wendell L. Wilkie Award for political reporting.

Loeb, a native of Baton Rouge, La., began his newspaper career as a sports writer for the New Orleans Louisiana Weekly following his graduation from Howard University in 1926. Before joining the Call and Post in 1933, he also worked for the Atlanta Daily World, the Jacksonville (Fla.) World, and the New York Amsterdam Ne[[text cut off]]


Matthews is survived by his wife, Inez, a son, Ralph, Jr., managing editor of the Baltimore Afro-American; a stepson, John W. Braxton [[text cut off]]

Frances Bates buried

Frances Bates Fortune, who was America's first Black Wave, died recently in Memorial Hospital after a long illness.

Born in Greenville, South Carolina, the daughter of the late Preston and Pearl Bates, she moved with her family to New York 40 years ago and became a student at City College.

After college, she was a nurse in the office of Dr. I.W. Eagle for more than 13 years, then enlisted in the U.S. Navy, the only Black in a regiment of 249 Waves.

Honorably Discharged, she returned to civilian life, married John Fortune and at her death had been employed by the Port of Authority as a supervisor for over 16 years.

Active in community and social affairs, she was an honorary member of the New York Chapter of "The Drifters," an internationally known organization of prominent young women.

Among her survivors, besides her husband, John; and her mother, Mrs. Pearl Bates; are two sisters, Mrs. Curtis Joseph and Mrs. Lydia Stout; one brother Jaems Preston Bates; an uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. James R. Bates of Greenville, S.C.; her mother-in-law, Mrs. Mary E. Fortune; four sisters-in-law and a brother-in-law; and several nieces, nephews.

Rev. Dr. M.L. Wilson officiated at the services held at the Convent Avenue Baptist Church. He was assisted by Rev. Jerry Mosby.

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact