Viewing page 70 of 356

[[4 images]]

[[image - emblem of  The Queens Clinical Society of New York, Inc.]]

The Queens Clinical Society of New York, Inc.

The Queens Clinical Society was organized in 1932 by twenty-one black physicians and dentists. These professionals had been denied hospital privileges at the Queens General Hospital for years. The new organization presented their demands to the hospital hierarchy and successfully opened the doors for themselves and their successors.

Since 1932, the membership of the Society has been expanded to include pharmacists, biochemists and hospital administrators. The leadership role exemplified by the Society has inspired the youth of Queens by initiating Career Incentive Programs in science; by providing scholarships to worthy students and by originating an idea which resulted in the opening of the George and Robert Carter Community Health Centers in Queens.

Members of the Queens Clinical Society, Inc. purchased a building in southeast Queens in 1967, renovated it into a modern health facility which opened for the first patients in 1968.

Initially Family Planning Services were offered free of charge to the patients with the help of a grant from the Office of Economic Opportunity.

The expansion of Carter to include Comprehensive Health Services marked the first time that a privately owned and operated free-standing group practice facility was given a New York State Health Department Operating Certificate.

68
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.