Viewing page 235 of 356
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
Daughters of Isis Court Organized in 1910. The imperial Court, Daughters of Isis, auxiliary to Prince Hall Shriners, worldwide, was formally organized at the annual session of the Imperial Council, AEAONMS, held in Detroit, Mich., on August 24, 1910. The establishment of the Imperial Court was the outgrowth of a meeting held the previous year when a group of women representing Daughters of Isis from Maryland, Rhode Island and Washington, D.C., met with a committee of Prince Hall Shriners from the Imperial Council and requested organization of a grand body of the Daughters. Although groups of women in several cities where Prince Hall Shrine temples were located had been organized as a ladies auxiliary for the female relatives of members of PH Shrine temples, nothing had been done toward formally organizing these women until the meeting stated above. Since establishment of the Imperial Court in 1910, some of America's outstanding Black women have served as head of the organization. As of this year, the total membership in the Order is 10,000 or more. This figure is expected to be increased by the time the annual session of the Imperial Court is held in August of this year. Programs sponsored by the Imperial Court include, but are not limited to, sponsorship of the Isiserettes, two groups of girls 7 to 12 years old and 13 to 18 years; salute to "Outstanding Negro Women;" presentation of an annual award to the outstanding Daughter of Isis for the PH Shrine year; the U. Hines-Botts luncheon and the Sally Berry fashion show; the Egyptian Tea and the annual talent show; and the Public Relations public service program. The purpose of the Imperial Court, Daughters of Isis is basic. It tends to unite in one common bond of friendship, the relatives of all members of the Ancient Egyptian Arabic Order Nobles of the Mystic Shrine of North and South America and its jurisdiction, incorporated, Prince Hall Shriners; to practice charity and benevolency; to promote the general welfare, and to inculcate honor and integrity as symbolized in the legend of the Egyptian Queen, the Goddess of Isis. Like its parent organization, the Imperial Council of PH Shriners, the Imperial Court is a benevolent, charitable and fraternal organization. Its criteria for membership is very simple. You must be a daughter, mother, sister, widow or wife of a Prince Hall Shriner who is first a PH Mason. The order, like its male counterpart, accepts members with no regard to race, creed, or color. Approximately 5 to 10 percent of its present membership is non-black. As of this year, there are more than 160 courts organized throughout the USA and in overseas countries such as the Bahamas Islands, Canada, England, West Germany, Nassau and on Okinawa. On a national level, the Daughters of Isis annually award a $2,000 to $4,000 U. Hines-Botts four-year education scholarship to deserving and needy coeds to attend colleges and universities of their own choice. The Imperial Court also assists the PH Shrine Health and Medical Foundation in its national charitable programs. As of this date, the foundation has awarded donations totaling nearly 4 million dollars to colleges, universities and technical centers for medical research. Some of the outstanding women who have served as imperial commandresses of the Imperial Court since 1910 are: 1910-11 -- Dt. Emma Irving Golden, Sahara Court 9, Pittsburgh, Penna.; 1911-12 -- Dt. Laura Williams, Platta Court 114, New Orleans, La.; 1912-13 -- Dt. Mary Ida Miller, Mecca #2, Washington, D.C.; 1913-15 -- Dt. Cassie Melken, Fezzan #7, St. Paul, Minn.; 1915-16 -- Dt. Besscilla Smith-Franklin, Jerusalem #1, Baltimore, Md.; 1916-20 -- Dt. Anna B. Graves, Medinah #15, St. Louis, Mo.; 1920-22 -- Dt. Agnes E. W. Goldston, Sahara #9, Pittsburgh, Penna.; 1922-23 -- Dt. Frances R. Butler, Medinah #11, New York, N.Y.; 1923-25 -- Dt. Ursula Hines-Botts, Moslem #12, St. Joseph, Mo.; 1925-27 -- Dt. Elizabeth Graves, Arabic #21, Chicago, Ill.; 1927-29 -- Dt. Anna J. Berry, Syria #20, Boston, Mass.; 1929-32 -- Dt. Lillie Elizabeth Powell, Rabia #25, Jacksonville, Fla.; 1932-34 -- Dt. Alice B. Campbell, Medina #11, New York, N.Y.; 1934-37 -- Dt. Sally M. Stackton, Mecca #2, Washington, D.C.; 1937-39 -- Dt. T. Carter Brown, Medinah #15, St. Louis, Mo.; 1939-42 -- Dt. Willia J. Britton, Sinai #35, Cincinnati, Ohio; 1942-48 -- Dt. Beula L. McKay, Alaraf #69, Oklahoma City, Okla.; 1948-66 -- Dt. Ercella H. Moore, Hadji #62, Buffalo, N.Y.; 1966-68 -- Dt. Wilhelmina L. Means, Marracci #32, Detroit, Mich.; 1968-70 -- Dt. Eliza M. Coleman, Rissah #80, Jackson, Miss.; 1970-72 -- Dt. Gladys W. Dixon, Jerusalem #1, Baltimore, Md.; 1972-74 -- Dt. Lucille I. Boyd, Moussa #119, San Antonio, Texas; 1974-76 -- Dt. Thelma M. Gordon, Abdul #87, Huntington, West Va.; 1976-78 -- Dt. Anita G. Adams, Mizraim #110, Tuskegee Institute, Ala.; and 1978- -- Dt. Anne M. Bolden, Bloomfield, Ct. [[image]] Caption: One of the award winning female drill teams, in action at the Imperial Council session, held recently in Cleveland, Ohio. 233
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.