Viewing page 17 of 47


Late that Spring this operation was changed to General Aviation Company, and Arch Freeman joined the firm as Assistant Instructor. The group held a local air meet there May 30th to June 1st to stimulate interest in their school project. Joining in the event were aviators George Gray, Phil Page and Frank Terrill. Passengers were carried and Atwood and Freeman transported mail. A postal sub-station was provided at the field and at intervals mail was flown to a point near the Lynn, Post Office where the sack was dropped for collection. Beachey came to join the meet on the last day of the event.

During late June Wright pilot Farnum Fish also started flying for Atwood and remained with the group until the end of August. Atwood was flying at Portland, Maine about mid-June and on June 21st flew from Portland to Pittsfield, New Hampshire for an exhibition there. Reportedly his flying in Portland at that time was the first ever made in the state of Maine. He was also flying a Burgess-Wright Hydro at Portland later that season.

There is evidence that Atwood left Crayton and Craig during the late fall of 1912 and announced The Harry N. Atwood Private School of Aviation, incorporated by himself, S. S. Atwood and L. R. Soule.

Atwood went to Sandusky, Ohio during the early spring months of 1913 and started to build a flying boat of his own design. Then he and Weldon B. Cooke announced they were going to inaugurate a passenger air line between Sandusky, Cedar Point and Put-in-Bay for the summer. His new flying boat was finished in early May and he started testing it at once. It was a biplane with side-by-side seating ahead of the lower wing, and a Curtiss OX motor behind the occupants, driving two shaft-driven pusher propellers mounted mid-wing. The cooling radiator was in the very nose of the hull ahead of the seats. Atwood ran out of fuel while flying this new boat on May 27th and was adrift on Lake Erie for four hours before he succeeded in getting enough gasoline from a passing boat to get back to base.

Atwood started to fly from Sandusky 50 miles across Lake Erie on May 31st in this new boat but encountered fog and winds which blew him off course, and

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact