Viewing page 16 of 28

Following this, Brock and Faulker split up and in 1923 Brock hired Miss
Lillian Boyer as wing walker.  He also added an automobile race act and toured
the country for some time.  He later discontinued his troupe and joined the
Gates flying circus.  While with Gates as a wing walker, Frank Walker lost his
hold on Brock's plane at New Orleans, Louisiana, and fell to his death.  This
so upset Brock that he permanently gave up the circus and barnstorming.
In the early spring of 1926 Brock joined Charles Dickinson, wealthy Chicago
aviation enthusiast, who had just been awarded an airmail contract between
Chicago and Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota, by way of Milwaukee and Lacrosse,
Wisconsin.  Dickenson had also engaged Elmer Partridge, Henry Keller, Charles
Arens and Matty Laird for the route, with Laird biplanes to be used, powered by
Wright Whirlwind engines.  The route opened on June 7th and the next day Partridge
was killed.  The route lost money, Dickenson became disinterested, and operations
were suspended in September.
Following this Brock went to Detroit where he became personal pilot for John
Dodge on social and business flying.  There he met the wealthy Detroit oil man,
Ed. F. Schlee, and they formed the Wayco Air Service, Incorporated, with two
Stinson planes, Detroit's first air-taxi service.
After much preparation they planned to attempt a world flight.  Their plan,
"Pride of Detroit", was a Stinson monoplane powered by a Wright J-5 Whirlwind
engine. [[strikethrough]] and [[strikethrough]] They left Detroit on August 22nd, 1927.  In New York they had final
engine adjustments made and then flew to Harbor Grace, Newfoundland.  They left there
on August 28th and landed safely at Croydon Airport, London, England, 2,350 miles in 23 hours,
21 minutes, [[strikethrough]]2350 miles,[[strikethrough]] making the first Atlantic crossing by airplane from Newfoundland
to [[strikethrough]] Europe [[strikethrough]] England.
Flying on across Europe and Asia they [[strikethrough]] bowed [[strikethrough]] conceded to family pleas at Tokyo, Japan,
not to fly the Pacific.  Accordingly, they returned to the United States by ship
then flew across the continent, arriving in Detroit on September 14th, after
covering 12,295 air miles in 145.5 flying hours.  Much of the credit for the flight must go
to Brock, since Schlee had very little flying experience.
Following this the Schlee-Brock Aircraft Corporation was formed and they
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact