Viewing page 6 of 27


a few flights alone. Then they rushed back to Toronto to fly in a meet already in progress there, until the 15th. There Coffyn made several successful flights. From there he flew at a meet at Ashbury Park, New Jersey August 10th to 20th with Brookins, Hoxsey, LaChapelle and Drexel. Wilbur Wright was at this event to see how the group was progressing but did not fly. Coffyn made several good flights there. September 5th to 9th he took on his first engagement alone at Hartford, Connecticut and handled the job in fine style with several long and interesting flights. Later that month he flew an exhibition at Troy, New York, then on October 24th obtained his F.A.I. pilot license, No. 26. He continued to fly actively that fall and assisted in several late exhibition assignments.

On January 11th, 1911 he was named as instructor for the new Wright winter flying school at Augusta, Georgia. Flying started there on January 23rd with W. Starling Burgess, George H. Manner (who was really Norman Prince) and Harold H. Brown, all of Boston. Prince was later the founder of the LaFayette Escadrille during World War I. Coffyn made 135 instruction flights at the school, flying a total of 32 hours with no parts breakage. After completing the instruction of this class Coffyn flew to Aiken, South Carolina on March 30th carrying Mrs. Coffyn as a passenger. This was a winter colony of wealthy New Yorkers, where he was assigned a period of social flying for a time as an aviation salesman. Among those he took for rides there were Thomas Hitchcock, Jr., famed polo player, Robert Collier of Colliers Weekly, who bought a plane as a result, and many others. On one occasion he flew Hitchcock out to his Cedar Creek horse farm where they landed for a time then returned. He also carried R. H. Davis, a writer for Colliers, who composed an article about the flight for the Weekly.

Following this he did considerable flying in and around his home town of Charleston, South Carolina, then was sent to Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, Texas about mid-April to assist Lt. B. D. Foulois during extensive spring army maneuvers. There on April 27th Coffyn carried Lt. Foulois as a passenger for 1 hour, 30 minutes, a new American 2-man endurance record. He was actively engaged there for some time during these exercises carrying out various reconnaissance and wireless

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact