Viewing page 25 of 27

at will. This worked [[strikethrough]] out [[/strikethrough]] perfectly and through February he circled the Statue of Liberty, the Singer Building and Lower Manhattan, flew over and under the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, around Ellis and Governors Island, and escorted incoming vessels up the Harbor.[[strikethrough]] and [[/strikethrough]] His almost daily flights were witnessed by thousands of [[strikethrough]] people [[/strikethrough]]. This work was indeed notable, for they probably were the first movies ever made from the air, and were shown all over the country at that time. 

In early March Wilbur Wright came to see him and observe his work. During his extensive flying time Coffyn carried many passengers, members of his own family and city officials. On March 20th Coffyn was seriously injured in a taxi-cab smashup in New York, sustaining a fractured skull and other injuries that [[strikethrough]] put him in the [[/strikethrough]]hospitalized him for some time. [[strikethrough]] While there [[/strikethrough]]Wilbur Wrights visited him in the hospital to express his regrets concerning this serious misfortune. In mid-July Robert Collier engaged Coffyn to do some occasional flying with his Wright Hydro while he recuperated from his long confinement, and after an easy summer Coffyn went with the Burgess Co. and Curtis[[strikethrough]]s [[/strikethrough]]in December, 1912, to be a test pilot and take charge of their flying school activities. 

His first assignment was to conduct initial and official flight tests of the new Burgess Coast Defense Hydro at Marblehead, Massachusetts. This was a new twin-float machine using Burgess-Wright wings, but with a fuselage, standard Wright pusher propellers and 6 cylinder Sturtevant engine. Coffyn satisfactorily completed these tests on January 20th, 1913, following which the plane was shipped to the winder school at Palm Beach, Florida, where he trained Army and Navy officers Lts. Call, Ellington, Murray and Comdr. Richardson on this new plane. Coffyn remained at Palm Beach until April when the school closed and he returned to Marblehead. He was kept busy during the summer months flight testing two new planes, first a pusher biplane flying boat for the Navy, using an 8 cylinder 70 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]]Renault engine, then later a special pusher biplane flying boar for Robert Collier, using a 220 [[strikethrough]] H.P. [[/strikethrough]]20 cylinder air-cooled Anzani engine. In addition to this he tested some military planes built and delivered that season. In early October Collier's flying 
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact