Viewing page 26 of 27

boat was delivered to him at Seidlers Beach on Raritan Bay, New Jersey, and Coffyn was sent there to fly it for him, remaining until the plane was put up for the winter on December 23rd. 
During the winter months Coffyn designed and supervised the construction of a shallow draft air-propelled boat for Collier, called the "Aero-Skimmer." In the spring of 1914 he reportedly assisted in the early development of the first Burgess-Dunne Hydro-aeroplaned, and in June the Burgess Company established a New York office at 331 Madison Avenue with Coffyn in charge. AT the same time he also set up his own consulting business and later became a free lance test pilot until the beginning of World War I, on April 6, 1917.
At that time Coffyn became instructor in charge of flying at Rich Field, Waco, Texas, where he remained until July, 1918. While there he assisted in the training of some three hundred flying cadets, many of whom later became internationally famous. By this time he accepted a commission as Captain in the Army Air Service, and was transferred to Damm Field, Babylon, Long Island, [[strikethrough]] New York [[strikethrough]] as Commanding Officer, where he remained until his resignation from the Service in January, 1919.
After the war Coffyn went to Great Britain on business relating to the automobile industry. During 1920-1922 he was in the wholesale cotton business in Port au Prince, Haiti, then moved to California where he was in the movie and real estate business until 1929 when he made an aerial survey for a mining company in Mexico. In late 1929-1930 he was an aviation consultant for General Development Corporation, Hartford, Connecticut. In 1931 he was in charge of the Aviation Department of the Beech-Nut Packing Company, and in July of that year took autogyro instruction at Pitcairn Field, Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, and learned to fly a rotary-wing aircraft. 
From the mid 1930's to 1941 Coffyn was in charge of an office for the Canadian Aviation Bureau in New York. This organization was engaged in securing competent American aviators to work for the Canadian and British Governments to ferry aircraft across the Atlantic during World Ward II. From 1941 to 1945 he was with
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact