Viewing page 18 of 30

nearby Winsted, Connecticut, where they planned to build, exhibit and sell air-planes. He also purchased a new Burgess-Wright plane from the Burgess Company, & Curtis, of Marblehead, Massachusetts in May, and after some instruction from W.S. Burgess and Harry Atwood at Squantum during late May and early June to learn the Wright control, he took his plane to New Britain, hoping to regain his health by giving up curcus [[circus]] life and changing to moderate local flying. During June he continued flying at New Britain and Hartford, Connecticut, and carried some passengers. 

As June ended Harry Atwood was making his celebrated flight from Boston to Washington, D.C., by way of New York and Atlantic City. Hamilton was interested, and was at Atlantic City when Atwood arrived there.  July 5th and 6th he rode with Atwood as a passenger at Atlantic City and was then invited to fly to Washington, D.C., with Atwood, an invitation which was accepted.  They started on July 7th but a dog ran into their path as they were taking off, damaging the propeller. A second start was made and after taking off over water the plane became unmanageable due to the faulty propeller and they crashed, narrowly escaping drowning.  The plane was badly damaged and the engine had been submerged in salt water, so Hamilton had his own plane towed by automobile from Connecticut and lent it to Atwood to continue his journey.  On July 10th Atwood flew from Atlantic City to Baltimore, Maryland, carrying Hamilton as a passenger.  The next morning they flew from Baltimore to College Park, where Atwood bought Hamilton's Burgess-Wright plane.  Reportedly, Hamilton remained in Washington while Atwood was flying there.  It was at this time that Atwood made his famous flight to the White House, landing on the South Lawn to receive the Aero Club of America Medal from the President and then taking off from that lawn for the return flight.

On July 29th it was announced that Hamilton had settled his difficulties with Curtiss and rejoined that Exhibition Team.  For his first assignment with Curtiss, he was scheduled to compete with Beachey and Robinson in the New York

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact