Viewing page 9 of 33

real start toward success. As a result of his improved flying he contracted 
with the Pacific Aviation Company, of Portland, Oregon, about May 1st to fly
exhibitions for them throughout the northwest during the 1911 season. This 
firm was owned and managed by H.W. Manning of Portland, and Harry Christofferson was working for them as a mechanic at the time. When Walsh started flying for the company Christofferson became his mechanic. The first flying date was at Portland May 27th and 28th, where he made eight flights and carried passengers. June 9th through 11th he was at Seattle, Wash. but had bad luck when high winds blew him into a telephone pole on takeoff, and although he was not injured the plane was somewhat damaged. From then on into August Walsh had an extremely busy schedule, making exhibition flights at Vancouver, B.C.; Wenatchee, Wash.; Albany and LaGrande, Oregon; Twin Falls, Idaho; Cheyenne, Moscow and Laramie, Wyoming. Also during this period he made some test flights at the Vancouver Barracks, Vancouver, Wash., using the Ellsworth Automatic Stabilizer for the D.B. Ellsworth Company of Portland, Oregon. The tests were unsatisfactory and Walsh told them he did not think their device warranted further development.  

Walsh flew at Kearney, Nebraska on August 4th and at Freemont on the 14th, where he decided to leave the Manning management, and went to the famed Chicago Meet at Grant Park, where he joined the Curtiss Exhibition Team and started flying for them at once. Harry Christofferson was retained as his mechanic by the Curtiss Company. Through the remaining fall season of 1911 Walsh made flights at Eagle Grove, Iowa; Ogden, Utah; Garden City, Kansas; Fremont, Nebraska; Wichita, Kansas; Raton and Albuquerque, New Mexico in addition to various other mid-western points. In early November he flew at Houston, Texas at a small meet. There he carried passengers and made a fine 42 minute cross-country flight during the event. Throughout the entire 1911 season of exhibition flying Mrs. Walsh and the children had remained with the troops. Walsh insisted upon this, for he refused to be separated from his family. From Houston they started for Mexico City for an engagement but before arrival this was cancelled due to an uprising in Mexico. Returning to Texas he flew several additional exhibitions, then headed east in December to fly

Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact