Viewing page 12 of 206
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
A.50. Vol 16 '70 R.F. & A.L. New York Feby 24th 1870 [[stamp]] THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES OF THE UNITED STATES [[/stamp]] American Missionary Association Edward P Smith Secy, Returns communication of the A.A.A. Genl. directing a transfer of the buildings erected by the Bureau known as the Hampton Normal and Collegiate Institute &c, and states that the buildings was by order of Genl. Howard turned over to the A.M. Assn. Mch 1st 1869. The endorsement of the Chief Quartermaster, states that the buildings referred to was on the 1st of March transferred to the American Missionary Association &c [[stamp]]BUREAU R.F. & A.L. WASHINGTON REC'D FEB 25 1870 [[/stamp]] File LB Vol. 6. Mch 1. 70 LB Vol 6 Feby 21st 70 to S.C. Armstrong Am. Miss. Assocn. 59 Reade St. New York 24 February 1870. Respectfully returned to Gen. H.M. Whittlesey, A.A.A.G. The buildings occupied by the Normal School at Hampton, for which the Bureau is paying us rent, were turned over to the A.M.A. by order of Gen. Howard March 1st 1869. The Normal School building for which a large appropriation has been lately made is not yet finished nor in any way occupied for Normal School purposes. The papers transferring the property occupied were signed in duplicate and one copy retained in your office. I trust therefore that the suspension of payment may be discontinued, the cause assigned therefor not existing. Edw. P. Smith Field Secty A.M.A. [[stamp]]RECEIVED OFFICE F.O.M. FEB 25 1870 [[/stamp]] EB. 406, Vol 2 1869 - 70 War Dept BRF & AL Office Chf Qr. Master Washington Feby 25, 1870 Respectfully forwarded to Bvt. Brig Genl. H.M. Whittlesey, AAA Genl with the information that it appears from the records of this office that on the first of March 1869 the Commissioner transferred to the American Missionary Association the buildings erected by the Bureau for educational purposes on "a parcel of land in the County of Elizabeth City, Va., held by Genl Whipple in trust for the American Missionary Association, lying on the East side of Hampton River, near Hampton, commonly known as Little Scotland, and containing 175 acres, more or less, on which is the Hampton Normal and Agricultural Institute." R.M. Mauer Bt. Lt. Col & CQM BRFAL
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.