Viewing page 22 of 24
It looks like you're using a mobile device. We recommend using a physical keyboard for transcription entry.
ments are Thelma's Coffee Shop and May's Seafood Carry-Out Shop. The latter was established three years ago by Mr. A. J. Thomas, a former engineer of Birney School. Mr. Thomas serves not only Anacostia but has city-wide clientele. Mr. and Mrs. Galloway sold their liquor store on U Street, N.W., in 1941 and moved to a new site on Nichols Avenue, S.E. Their business is now housed in a beautiful brick building which they own. In 1949 the business and professional men of Anacostia united to form the Anacostia Business and Professionl Men's Association. Their purpose was to promote better understanding between citizens and Negro business enterprises and professions of Anacostia. Their activities include advertising, assisting members in building and expansion, aiding the needy, and interesting young Negroes in business and professional endeavors in Anacostia. Anacostia is proud of its independent businesses. Its growth as a progressive community is clearly reflected in the growth and stability of these businesses. D. M. Johnson Interviews with Merchants in Community, Mrs. F. S. McLendon, and Mr. W. A. Potterson. Thus it is seen that special activities have engaged the interest and development of many children and adults in the Anacostia area. They have helped to insure a deeper interest in the health of individuals; they have provided the media of music as an outlet. They have channeled the energies of the Anacostia youth into the activities of the Boy Scout Group, of the Barry Farm Unit of the Junior Police and Citizen's Corps, into the wholesome atmosphere of the Nursery School and the Barry Farms Recreation Center. They have interested the young Negroes of the community in business as a vocation through the successful enterprises developed by their forerunners in the commercial world. It is gratifying to see the progress Anacostia has made in these endeavors, but much improvement must be made. There is need for more activities so that each individual in the community may suit his leisure activities to his needs. Let us always keep this goal in mind. Introduction (From page 2) the wide range of new housing projects and with the extension of old Nichols Avenue winding its way through the heart of our community. I often wonder about our families in their home life - if the parents and children talk about the beauty of this section, if the older inhabitants constantly keep before their children and grandchildren the history of this historic settlement, and if the newer residents know about the interesting and important background of Birney School area. I believe that if every child in this section knew more about the settlement of our part of Anacostia, if they knew more about the accomplishments and achievements of people who first, and later lived here, if they knew and appreciated the awe-inspiring beauty of this settlement, their lives would be richer and fuller and they would be better junior citizens. To help accomplish this is the main aim of this issue of Birney Life Magazine - that is to give to the children of the Birney School area, and to newcomers to whom the historical background of this section of Washington may not be known, information about the Birney School Community in the hope that an understanding of its historic background may inspire all towards true civic mindedness in terms of integrity, charity, and brotherly love. Alice B. Finlayson, Principal Churches (From page 11) ple's Union, and many other church auxiliaries. Rev. Marshall, organizer and builder, led the congregation for seventeen years and passed on to his great reward in 1938. The church felt the loss deeply and out of grief and respect hesitated long before calling someone else to try to occupy Rev. Marshall's shoes. In the spring of 1939 Rev. H.G. Hocket was installed as pastor. After two years he was succeeded by Rev. C. H. Hickerson, who pastored the church for five years. After his departure Rev. R. W. Hall, the present pastor, took charge of the church. That small band of eighteen believers now numbers more than 140 with a Sunday School enrollment of 215. A kitchen, pastor's study and office have been added to the original structure. Three singing groups take turns furnishing music for worship services to the accompaniment of an electric pipe organ, the chimes of which ring out over the neighboring village. Matthews Memorial has indeed come a long way. O. Hughston Interview with Mrs. N. Southall The foregoing histories of the churches of this community gives us a better understanding and a more thorough knowledge of the history of Anacostia. The churches, indeed, have played a most significant part in the development of this rich and noble land. PAGE 22
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.