Viewing page 33 of 78

OUR HERITAGE

[[image: black & white photograph with caption "Ophelia Clark"]]

1957 -- Great sorrow swept the Residence with the death of the House Mother, Ophelia Clark. Miss Clark was also one of the first Negro Nurses hired at the hospital in its' very beginning, 1919. The Class of 1958, has established a Prayer Room in her honor, it is located on the first floor of the Nurses Residence. Mother Clark is gone, but her memory will linger forever with those who knew her.

1959 -- National Accreditation becomes a reality. School Celebrates its 40th Anniversary.

1961 -- Mrs. Juanita O. Long, was appointed Educational Director. A graduate of Boston City Hospital, she is the daughter of Chaplain Outlaw. During Mrs. Long's tenure, the School was re-evaluated for accreditation and National Accreditation was retained. Mrs. Long resigned in June, 1965 to accept a Professorship at Northeast University in her hometown of Boston.

[[image: black & white photograph with the caption: "Juanita O. Long"]]

[[image: black & white photograph with the caption: "Katherine Thomas"]]

1964 -- Miss Katherine Thomas, became the first Negro student nurse to become President of The Third District Student Nurses Association. Miss Thomas, Class of '65, is married and working in Hawaii.

1965 -- Mrs. Geraldine Edwards Phelps, Class of March, 1951, the current Educational Director, began her appointment on September, 13, 1965. Shortly, after Mrs. Phelps appointment, the school was again re-evaluated for accreditation, and retained National Accreditation.
Mrs. Phelps has a Bachelor's and a Master's Degree from Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.

[[image: black & white photograph with caption: "Geraldine Edward Phelps"]]

62

[[end page]]
[[start page]]

OUR HERITAGE

1966 -- Mr. David Mitchell of Yazoo City, Mississippi became the first male graduate of the Homer G. Phillips School or Nursing. David blazed the trail alone for one year when another fellow entered. Needless to say, everyone loved David for he was quite a "Charmer". He is now married to another of our graduates and is serving with the Army Nurses Corp in Viet Nam.

It was officially announced in July, 1966 that Homer G. Phillips School of Nursing and St. Louis City Hospital School of Nursing were to merge. It was explained that merger was absolutely necessary, so that the City of St. Louis could comply with Title VI, and qualify for Medicare Benefits. The City had failed to qualify prior to this because of segregation in many of its practices.

The announcement came as a complete surprise. However, the two faculties began making plans during the summer for the new proposed program. It was soon apparent that memories, traditions and principles once held dear by each school would have to be re-evaluated, if a workable situation was to be created. Above all, the preparation of competent nurses, must be maintained.
The first class of the newly merged schools entered in September, 1966. These students encountered many obstacles as was expected, but they were soon removed and a sound educational program ensued. The name of the merged schools is the St. Louis Municipal School of Nursing. Facilities of both institutions are used, as the classes are very large in number. History always repeats itself, and today as in 1919, the students are again being bussed from one campus to the other.

Changes are very difficult to accept, however we at Homer G. Phillips accept the challenge of the universe, which is to establish happiness and togetherness for all.

1967 -- The one-thousandth graduate of the School, Miss Mary Lillian Wright of Milan, Tennessee. Miss Wright was presented a Bronze Plaque in commemoration of this honor at the Graduation ceremonies.

[[image: black & white photograph with caption: "David Mitchell"]]

[[image: black & white photograph with caption: "Mary Lillian Wright"]]

63
Please note that the language and terminology used in this collection reflects the context and culture of the time of its creation, and may include culturally sensitive information. As an historical document, its contents may be at odds with contemporary views and terminology. The information within this collection does not reflect the views of the Smithsonian Institution, but is available in its original form to facilitate research. For questions or comments regarding sensitive content, access, and use related to this collection, please contact transcribe@si.edu.